Declaration For a New Medicine
Values that Inspire the Transformation of Healthcare
The Bravewell Collaborative developed a Declaration for The New Medicine. Healthy US is aligned with these same values that inspire the transformation of healthcare and healing the “whole person” – mind, body and spirit.
- We value the treatment of the individual in a holistic manner and the fulfillment of the needs of mind, body and spirit.
- We recognize the sacred and healing nature of the relationships between patients and healthcare providers and acknowledge that humanism, compassion and caring are central to health and healing.
- We believe that the empowered patient is the responsible central actor in healing, self-care and prevention and that a person’s emotions, trauma and stress levels directly affect the risk and course of disease.
- We will work for a healthcare system that creates an environment which supports healing relationships and recognizes that in order to be healing and empowering, healers themselves must be restored and whole.
- We will support truly integrative medicine that offers the highest standards of excellence in a full and complete array of care modalities.
- We embrace the spiritual dimension of life and acknowledge the importance of context and intention in the healing process for patients, caregivers and healers.
- We acknowledge that the risks of many serious illnesses, such as cancer, cardiovascular disease and diabetes, can be reduced with scientifically based nutrition, exercise and mind-body interventions.
- We believe in giving voice to the patient, in the openness of healers, and in honest and supportive communications among all members of the healthcare community.
- We will support the efforts of healers to develop integrity and spiritual qualities, which are as important as medical knowledge and technical skills to the process of healing.
- We dedicate ourselves to the change necessary to bring about the new medicine in an optimal healing environment.